My Sewing Room is a MESS. Really. So I decided to complete some unfinished projects in hope to clear some items out. I found that my husbands 40 t-shirts were taking up quite a bit of space. I wanted a down and dirty and comfortable quilt that he would use. I have made t-shirt quilts before with interfacing on every t-shirt, but that takes time and stiffens up the quilt a bit. So I decided to wing it and make up the quilt pattern as I went. First of all I took all 40 t-shirts and cut out the most important graphics, front and back. Don't worry, I did not toss all the remaining pieces! There are plenty left to make lots of pajama pants for the kiddos.
For the backing I used 2 yards of fleece. The tiki pattern is perfect for two reasons. First, I knew he would like it. Second, it does not have a lot of colors which means I could use a basic brown thread in my bobbin and it would blend nicely.
Next comes arranging. I laid out the t-shirts onto the wrong side of the fleece, overlapping the edges by about 3/8 inch. Then comes pinning. And boy did I pin. Over 200 of them.
Finished the quilt off with a traditional binding in quilters cotton. The best part, Hubby loves the quilt. It is the perfect warmth, weight and softness for him.