After finishing my hubby's down and dirty t-shirt quilt, up next was my son's quilt. I used a collection of his old tees from sports camps, tees he made, and a few of the favorite ones he always wore. He LOVES it. What more could I ask for?
I collected and collected and collected. The salvages looked pretty neat in my Mason jar upon the shelf until it was full and ready to be transformed into a bag. I cut two fabric panels and ironed fusible interfacing to the back. To the front, I started in one corner and sewed on one salvage at a time. Overlapping the raw edge of the previous salvage and covering up the right side of the fabric, so use a fabric that you look at and wonder what you were thinking when you purchased it!
I added two pockets to the inside and a snap closure. Where the bag is hanging in the photo is pretty much were it lives. I like keeping my current project tucked in there. I know, such a shame that such a bag does not leave the house very often! It just draws to much attention at the fabric stores and have to shoo people away. (or maybe not)
The desk -- was a makeover project. One day I took a spray paint can to it, then some sandpaper and, well, there you have it. I love it. And it is so sturdy when sewing. See the scrap quilt on the wall. That is a work in progress. Progress is slow -- about two years, maybe three. I am okay with that for two reasons. 1. I like looking at it hanging on my sewing room wall. 2. It has scraps of so many projects I have made -- and some from friends.
Yes, I love vintage suitcases. And I love all the projects online with ways to create, restore and decorate with them. This red suitcase was found at a local thrift shop as soon as I saw it I knew it would make the perfect baby storage/bed. Since the front was faded from the sun and or time, Mod Podge and fabric was the perfect solution! There are many tutorials online on how to recover one. It really is simple and easy. My only tip for you is to use a darker color fabric as the Mod Podge will show through. Just trust me on this.
After the outside was complete, I took out all of the old nasty insides and replaced it with fun colorful fabrics. This was a combination of sewing and the hot glue gun. Added a blanket and pillow for baby and called it completed.
The note came home, my preschooler and I were to work together on a Valentine's Day Card Box. Thrilled. To say we worked on it together might be a stretch! Her opinion was asked on several occasions and she helped pick out the button eyes. Either way, she loves it just as much as she loves handing out cards and gifts to others, which is A LOT.
This is a pretty exciting holiday for her.
Without further adieu, here is our recycled Tide Pods (LOVE THEM) container. The container had been sitting in the laundry room for a couple weeks. I was thinking it could be used for Lego storage at first, but this project put it to much better use. I kept it simple (without too many Valentine's Day themed decorations) so she could still store Legos or toys in after Valentines day is over.
I used scrapbooking paper to cover the Tide Label. Eyes and "Jenna" heart were cut with the Silouette. A layer of Mod Podge was applied over paper and around the button eyes.
My t-shirt just needed to leave my closet. You know, the one you like, but just did not fit quite right. In this case it was just too long. To make me feel better about it I recycled it into pants for Jenna! I traced another pair of her leggings to make the pattern. The pants were a bit short, so I added a ruffle from one of the girls' old knit dresses that I was saving. Put ribbon on top of my ruffle, added a waistband and there you have it. Jenna wanted a matching shirt, so I cut a heart out of the same dress knit and sewed it on. Outfit complete. Now, before you go thinking I am super woman, and that these pants are perfect...well, one pocket (on the bum) is about 1inch lower then the other one. Opps!
My Sewing Room is a MESS. Really. So I decided to complete some unfinished projects in hope to clear some items out. I found that my husbands 40 t-shirts were taking up quite a bit of space. I wanted a down and dirty and comfortable quilt that he would use. I have made t-shirt quilts before with interfacing on every t-shirt, but that takes time and stiffens up the quilt a bit. So I decided to wing it and make up the quilt pattern as I went. First of all I took all 40 t-shirts and cut out the most important graphics, front and back. Don't worry, I did not toss all the remaining pieces! There are plenty left to make lots of pajama pants for the kiddos.
For the backing I used 2 yards of fleece. The tiki pattern is perfect for two reasons. First, I knew he would like it. Second, it does not have a lot of colors which means I could use a basic brown thread in my bobbin and it would blend nicely.
Next comes arranging. I laid out the t-shirts onto the wrong side of the fleece, overlapping the edges by about 3/8 inch. Then comes pinning. And boy did I pin. Over 200 of them.
And finally came sewing. To do this, I sewed all the horizontal seams with a 1/4" allowance first. Then I turned the blanket and sewed all the vertical seams. When sewing the vertical seams it was important to tug on the fleece a bit to make sure the fabrics were taught together and no gapping happened. I would be lying if I said there are not any gaps or puckers in my quilt. BUT again, this is a down and dirty quilt, not up of for an award at the state fair!
Finished the quilt off with a traditional binding in quilters cotton. The best part, Hubby loves the quilt. It is the perfect warmth, weight and softness for him.