After finishing my hubby's down and dirty t-shirt quilt, up next was my son's quilt.   I used a collection of his old tees from sports camps, tees he made, and a few of the favorite ones he always wore.   He LOVES it.  What more could I ask for?
 
My t-shirt just needed to leave my closet.  You know, the one you like, but just did not fit quite right.  In this case it was just too long.  To make me feel better about it I recycled it into pants for Jenna!  I traced another pair of her leggings to make the pattern.  The pants were a bit short, so I added a ruffle from one of the girls' old knit dresses that I was saving. Put ribbon on top of my ruffle, added a waistband and there you have it.  Jenna wanted a matching shirt, so I cut a heart out of the same dress knit and sewed it on.  Outfit complete.  Now, before you go thinking I am super woman, and that these pants are perfect...well, one pocket (on the bum) is about 1inch lower then the other one.  Opps!  

"Mommy this is my favorite outfit, just cause you made it."  Sweet words from a sweet little girl.

 
Picture

My Sewing Room is a MESS.  Really.  So I decided to complete some unfinished projects in hope to clear some items out. I found that my husbands 40 t-shirts were taking up quite a bit of space.  I wanted a down and dirty and comfortable quilt that he would use.  I have made t-shirt quilts before with interfacing on every t-shirt, but that takes time and stiffens up the quilt a bit.  So I decided to wing it and make up the quilt pattern as I went.  First of all I took all 40 t-shirts and cut out the most important graphics, front and back.  Don't worry, I did not toss all the remaining pieces!  There are plenty left to make lots of pajama pants for the kiddos.  

For the backing I used 2 yards of fleece.  The tiki pattern is perfect for two reasons.  First, I knew he would like it.  Second, it does not have a lot of colors which means I could use a basic brown thread in my bobbin and it would blend nicely.  


Next comes arranging.  I laid out the t-shirts onto the wrong side of the fleece, overlapping the edges by about 3/8 inch.  Then comes pinning.  And boy did I pin.  Over 200 of them.

And finally came sewing.   To do this, I sewed all the horizontal seams with a 1/4" allowance first.  Then I turned the blanket and sewed all the vertical seams.  When sewing the vertical seams it was important to tug on the fleece a bit to make sure the fabrics were taught together and no gapping happened.  I would be lying if I said there are not any gaps or puckers in my quilt.  BUT again, this is a down and dirty quilt, not up of for an award at the state fair! 

Finished the quilt off with a traditional binding in quilters cotton. The best part, Hubby loves the quilt.  It is the perfect warmth, weight and softness for him.  

    About Me...

    Welcome to Carrying Sunshine.  My name is Ann and I will be your host.  Together we shall venture into the crafty world, toss on our shoes for a run, and maybe travel the globe.  Don't be shy, introduce yourself.  I would love to meet you!

    Follow on Bloglovin
    Instagram
    Quilt Story

    Archives

    January 2014
    November 2013
    October 2013
    June 2013
    May 2013
    April 2013
    March 2013
    February 2013
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012

    Categories

    All
    Food
    Holidays
    Home Decor
    Kid Projects
    Knitting
    Patterns
    Quilting
    Sewing
    Travel
    T Shirts Recycled
    Tutorials
    Upcycling
    Vintage