After a couple ISpy fabric swaps, I was all set with fabrics with creatures, fruit, and silly objects.  I pondered over doing a traditional 4-inch square quilt, but just could not settle for that.  So I decided on a Ticker Tape Quilt.  And the puzzle began.  I took a twin sheet, sprayed basted it to an aqua polka dot minky back, and then started laying out the pieces.  Fancy cutting the pieces as I went.  Each square was pinned down.  After several were pinned down, each square/rectangle was sewn down with a 1/4" seam -- leaving the rough edges exposed.  Once filled, a simple stripped binding was added.  Next was a trip thought the washing machine and dryer.  Then the hardest part, cutting all the threads! 
Recently we traded out our banana yellow retro fun, yet uncomfortable, couches for a soft cozy brown velvet sectional -- that came with three pillows.  Three pillows that simply were not my style.  So I took them apart and added a new front panel and leaving the back panel because is the same as fabric as the couch. 1 down 2 to go!

Finishing a project is always so gratifying,  BUT completing a project that has been in the works for three years and is being given as a gift, is even more gratifying.  For my family Christmas we draw names.  I selected my sister-in-law Kelly.  I immediately thought of this quilt.  It would match their red couches and wood floors perfectly.  

The quilt top uses the pattern Simply-a-Bloom from the Moda website.  I did change the border width and chose not to add the flower appliques.  The fabric is a layer cake, named Simply Abundance, is by Bonnie & Camille.  For quilting, I chose a simple stippling. While quilting, I added the name of each member of the family.  It turned into a fun ispy game as they are pretty tricky to find!  The back is a chocolate brown minky fabric.  Oh, I love that stuff!  It makes the quilt so warm and comfy.  

The best part, I believe they appreciated and love the quilt -- always a bonus when you give a homemade gift!


My Sewing Room is a MESS.  Really.  So I decided to complete some unfinished projects in hope to clear some items out. I found that my husbands 40 t-shirts were taking up quite a bit of space.  I wanted a down and dirty and comfortable quilt that he would use.  I have made t-shirt quilts before with interfacing on every t-shirt, but that takes time and stiffens up the quilt a bit.  So I decided to wing it and make up the quilt pattern as I went.  First of all I took all 40 t-shirts and cut out the most important graphics, front and back.  Don't worry, I did not toss all the remaining pieces!  There are plenty left to make lots of pajama pants for the kiddos.  

For the backing I used 2 yards of fleece.  The tiki pattern is perfect for two reasons.  First, I knew he would like it.  Second, it does not have a lot of colors which means I could use a basic brown thread in my bobbin and it would blend nicely.  

Next comes arranging.  I laid out the t-shirts onto the wrong side of the fleece, overlapping the edges by about 3/8 inch.  Then comes pinning.  And boy did I pin.  Over 200 of them.

And finally came sewing.   To do this, I sewed all the horizontal seams with a 1/4" allowance first.  Then I turned the blanket and sewed all the vertical seams.  When sewing the vertical seams it was important to tug on the fleece a bit to make sure the fabrics were taught together and no gapping happened.  I would be lying if I said there are not any gaps or puckers in my quilt.  BUT again, this is a down and dirty quilt, not up of for an award at the state fair! 

Finished the quilt off with a traditional binding in quilters cotton. The best part, Hubby loves the quilt.  It is the perfect warmth, weight and softness for him.  

    About Me...

    Welcome to Carrying Sunshine.  My name is Ann and I will be your host.  Together we shall venture into the crafty world, toss on our shoes for a run, and maybe travel the globe.  Don't be shy, introduce yourself.  I would love to meet you!

    Follow on Bloglovin
    Quilt Story


    January 2014
    November 2013
    October 2013
    June 2013
    May 2013
    April 2013
    March 2013
    February 2013
    January 2013
    December 2012
    November 2012
    October 2012


    Home Decor
    Kid Projects
    T Shirts Recycled